Stephen Bonser – Curriculum Vitae
With 20 years’ cross-genre TV experience, I possess the skills and knowledge for producing TV content of the highest standard for a wide variety of audiences. My particular interests lie in the fields of cookery, science, engineering, music and motoring.
My ability to energize talent and crew ensures that every production is a creative, fun and enjoyable experience for everyone involved. I’m a level-headed Series Director and possess a strong understanding of the visual and editorial demands of programme making, including script writing and edit producing. My self-shooting skills are particularly strong across a wide range of cameras and a passion for travel and a valid i-visa has taken me to many corners of the globe.
To further my content-making opportunities I set up a small independent production company. This has allowed me to not only direct and produce music videos but has also given me the freedom to pitch and successfully land a funded cookery pilot with Channel Four as well as secure development funding for a motoring documentary, currently in development.
- Series Directed this highly successful specialist factual series for BBC2.
- Responsible for logistics, scripting and directing a large team, including two presenters and three cameras.
- Executive Producer: Amanda Lyons. Series Producer: Michael Rees.
- Series Directed and self-shot this new motoring series for UKTV.
- Responsible for creating a look and style for a series made on an incredibly tight budget.
- Assisted in developing the format points, schedules and scripts for the series alongside the Series Producer.
- Executive Producer: Gareth Cornick. SP: Laura Offer. Commissioner: Joe McVey
- Series directed this prime-time documentary series about the RAF display pilots
- Developed the format, schedule and scripted the series from day one alongside the Exec Producer
- Worked with the RAF to gain unprecedented access to the various display teams and pilots
- Organised the filming of large scale events and directed multiple camera crews
- Edit produced the final episode and oversaw the other edits alongside the Exec
- Executive Producer: Jenny Cole. Commissioner: Lindsay Bradbury
- Co-directed a new start up Production company, specialising in Factual programming.
- Currently producing a funded pilot for a new motoring documentary series.
- Developed and shot a funded cookery pilot for C4
- Currently developing a wide range of new talent led formats
- Scripted, Directed and Edit Produced a music video for an up and coming rock band.
- Scripted, directed, self-shot and edit produced an episode of this three part documentary series.
- Executive Producer: Jeff Anderson. Series Producer: Graham Cooper. Commissioner: Adrian Padmore.
- Directed, scripted and produced this presenter-led, classic car restoration series across 6 seasons.
- Crew and self-shot, using the Sony FS7 and PMW300.
- Series Producer: Stephen Taylor-Woodrow. Commissioner: Carolyn Payne.
- Edit produced an episode of this popular engineering series.
- Series Producer: Graham Cooper.
- Scripted and directed twelve DIY Food VT’s with presenter Jimmy Doherty
- Managed a team of up to 15 crew and production on location
- Multi-camera directed three cameras, shooting on Amira’s
- Executive Producer: Sam Beddoes. Series Producer: Dunk Barnes. Commissioner: Sarah Lazenby
- Directed on this two-part documentary about the services industry for the super wealthy
- Scripted and self-shot on the Sony FS7 and PMW300
- Series Producer: Kyle Prince
- Directed, scripted and produced this presenter-led, classic car restoration series across 5 seasons
- Crew and self-shot, using the Sony FS7 and PMW300
- Series Producer: Stephen Taylor-Woodrow. Commissioner: Carolyn Payne
- Produced, directed and self-shot this Fact Ent programme working with two prime time presenters
- Secured filming access with high net worth individuals, filming in both the UK and US
- Executive Producer: Fintan Maguire. Series Producer: John Bonny
- Scripted and directed an episode of this world-wide talent show, filming in Japan
- Worked with crew and a presenter within a logistically complex shoot
- Executive Producer: Suzanne Readwin. Series Producer: Jaime Brannan
- Directed crew and self-shot on this ambitious observational documentary series
- Based entirely on location in Dubai, shooting on Sony F800 with a Sound Recordist
- Executive Producer: Nick Metcalfe. Series Producer: Craig Blackhurst
- Self-shot and directed this two-part prime time, presenter led current affairs show
- Worked closely with the police and Trading Standards in often hostile situations
- Executive Producer: Lionel Mill. Series Producer: Katy Ferguson
- Directed, scripted and edit produced an episode of this competitive fishing series
- Filmed with crew and contestants in three locations around the world, US, Costa Rica and UK
- Executive Producer: Jeremy Phillips. Series Producer: Simon Bisset
- Self-shot and directed this engineering series in the US and Canada using the Sony F800
- A logistically challenging series, with a new location every three days for six weeks
- Filmed aerials from a helicopter and in extreme weather conditions
- Directed multiple crew on this shiny floor cooking competition series
- Edit produced the final one hour episode
- Executive Producer: Ed Sayer. Series Producer: Rory Dalziel
- Directed, scripted and produced high end drama reconstructions for this award show
- Directed crew and actors on set, recreating real life events
- Executive Producer: Jeremy Phillips. Series Producer: Lee Servis
- Series Directed, Scripted and self-shot this brand-new travel cooking format
- Worked to a tight 3-day filming schedule to produce episodic content
- Series Producer: Charlotte Winby
- Filmed at locations all over the globe Inc. US, Caribbean, Quebec, Italy and Florida
- Shot air to air with a WW2 aircraft and wrote the lyrics to the theme song for an episode
- Scripted and edit produced all four of my episodes
- Executive Producer: David Dugan. Series Producer: Carlo Massarella
- Scripted, directed and edit produced two episodes. Filming in both the US and Japan
- Designed and scripted CGi graphics to demonstrate complex scientific and engineering problems.
OTHER PRODUCER DIRECTOR CREDITS
Food Network – Pioneer Woman. C5 – Rolf’s Animal Clinic. TV3 – Celebrity Come Dine With Me. BBC – You’ve Been Scammed. BBC – Escape To The Country. BBC2 – Great British Menu. Sky 1 – Show Me Your Garden. C4 – Ramsay’s Best Restaurant. BBC – Alan’s Garden Secrets, Scam Squad, See Hear, Watchdog, Chelsea and Hampton Court Flower Show, Crimewatch and Level Up. ITV – Police Camera Action. Sky1 – Road Wars.
- Proficient user of Sony FS7, Sony F800, PMW350 and 500, Canon XF305 and Sony FS700
- Highly experienced in working globally, in extreme conditions and conducting both aerial and air to air filming
- Talented and confident multi camera Series Director
- Experienced in scripting and edit producing across a wide range of programme genres
- Valid i-visa and full driving and motorcycle licence
- 2:1 BSc Hons. Construction, Technology and Management
- 3 A-Levels. Chemistry, Physics and Math Mechanics and 10 GCSE’s
- Jenny Cole, Executive/Series Producer – Britain’s Ultimate Pilots
- Stephen Taylor-Woodrow, Series Producer Car SOS
- Laura Offer, Series Producer – Lazy Boy Garage.